Monday, February 15, 2010

Zero Tolerance Towards Drugs and Alcohol: A Fair Policy?

I would first like to thank all shelters for their kindness with keeping our homeless men and women sheltered. Upon saying this, however, I would like to comment on an issue that I think is very worthy of discussion: shelter policy on drugs and alcohol.

I don’t entirely agree with the policies that are in place presently. Most shelters have a zero tolerance policy towards drugs and alcohol. I fully agree that no person should be drinking or using drugs in a shelter. I do not agree with a zero tolerance, however, for those individuals who would like to have an alcoholic beverage after work or even on a very draining day.

True or false? Is it illegal to have an alcoholic beverage if you are eighteen years of age here in Alberta? False. It is not illegal for an eighteen year old to drink.

Also, what is the age requirement to gain entry into most shelters? It is generally a requirement to be at least eighteen to get into most shelters.

[I won’t be discussing youth shelters at this time. I will save that for another article in the near future.]

So my question to you is simple: Why is a man or woman of legal age who has had one alcoholic beverage after a long day refused service at most shelters? This is a question I am aiming towards shelters such as The Salvation Army and The Mustard Seed.

However, this zero tolerance policy also applies to getting on some floors at the Drop Inn Centre. The Drop Inn forces those that are under the influence to sleep in the lobby on the floor without a mat. This is very unhealthy.

I understand that it is illegal to use drugs, and drug use is still a very big problem in the shelter systems. However, because it is so much harder to detect a person who has been using drugs, it generally goes unnoticed. Drugs, in my opinion, are what should be the real zero tolerance policy!

I am not saying they should allow alcohol to be brought into the shelters, but that they would at least allow those that like to have the occasional drink after work into the shelter system without discipline.

I am not saying that one should be able to go out and get completely drunk. However, I don’t think it’s such a crime to have a drink or two. Even though I am a recovering addict, I wouldn’t be bothered by people drinking responsibly.

I believe that if shelters weren’t so strict with not allowing the homeless to have a couple of drinks after work (that is, those who like to drink), they would probably see a change in the way people approach the shelter systems. For example, the homeless wouldn’t sleep on the street as often, nor would they think so harshly of the shelter system.

This would also give security and staff the ability to concentrate on the big problem of drugs in the shelter system. As we all are aware, drugs are still very illegal.

I think the use of breathalyzers for those clients shelter staff feel may have had a little too much is justified. They could also put a new policy in place, setting a limit of what is an acceptable alcohol level. Take for example the limit for driving under the influence. This could be the limit for entering shelters as well.

I do understand that the Salvation Army and the Mustard Seed are both classified as Churches, and believe this is why they have a zero tolerance policy in place. What I would like to mention though is the fact some churches that do a proper communion actually offer wine to drink as the blood of Christ. So I guess if I go out and take part in communion and have this wine, I may not be allowed back in the shelter. That is the way it is run right now, and that is wrong.

The following are a couple of quotes from the Bible I like:

Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone. Use every chance you have for doing good. Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it. Never tell your neighbor to wait until tomorrow if you can help them now.

- Proverbs 3:27

Let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God—what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect.

- Romans 12:2b

Written by Tim Barber (Homeless, but not without HOPE)

No comments:

Post a Comment