Friday, April 2, 2010

Homeless in Calgary Part 7: Appearance

Part of the stigma that the public has towards homeless people is the appearance of many of the persons that they see --- the stereotype of unshaven, long messy hair, with poorly-kept clothing, and backpacks or shopping carts.

I was a bell-ringer for the Salvation Army during one Christmas season. I was dressed in a business suit.

I had decided to apply some suggestions that I had read for salesmen, even though I generally am not a salesman. I kept standing, rather than sitting, so that I was on the same level as the people walking by. When I established eye contact, I wished the person "Merry Christmas". While many continued to walk by without responding, some answered.

Someone asked me how long I had been working for the Salvation Army. I replied, "I just started," which was partly true. I realized then that for most of the public, their only contact with the Salvation Army is with the bell-ringers that they meet.

The owner of the store where the computer student, who lived in my building, worked, did a double-take when he walked by and saw and recognized me, beside the kettle. He was surprised to see me there. (One day, when the student arrived to work in the store late, I started bawling him out, using some old lines I had heard. When the owner looked at me as he heard me, he noticed that I not only sounded like a boss, I looked like one, too.)

When a supervisor walked by to see how I was doing, he was impressed by the way that I interacted with the people and received donations. He tried to assign me another shift, but unfortunately the person who was scheduled to do it arrived.

Another homeless person, who had opted for pay instead of a volunteer position, sat low in his chair, and moved the kettle back and forth lazily with one foot.

I was later invited to a volunteer appreciation dinner, and I met one of my school teachers there, who was retired.

I realize that it can be a major challenge for many homeless persons to be clean, well-groomed, attractively-clothed, well-mannered, and cheerful when they meet people in the street. However, improving their appearance will go a long way in dispelling the stereotype image that many of the public has about homeless persons.

Written by Anonymous45

No comments:

Post a Comment