Thursday, June 10, 2010

From My Book

I thought that maybe for a change,, I am going to share a small potion of my book with you, my reader.... I hope you like what you read and please feel free to leave comments... My autobiography should be complete by the end of this year....I hope that you will reserve a personal copy for yourselves....ENJOY!!!!
It’s Monday morning and I'm listening to Air Supply on my new MP3 player. It’s actually very soothing, for I haven't heard them for many years, except now and then over the years on the radio. It really does bring back a lot of memories, both good and bad.
I just started another addiction program at the Salvation Army Center Of Hope in Calgary, Alberta and I'm only meters away from where I used to use quite frequently so so many times. You see, Crack Cocaine was my so called drug of choice. I've actually always hated the term drug of choice, because I honestly had a choice and it was always the wrong choice doing crack. I have actually now been clean from Crack for just over three months, and although it’s a great accomplishment, I still feel I have a long, long way to go.
My story is going to take you on a journey of my life growing up from childhood to adulthood, to the position I am currently in, and I must warn you that there will be a lot of very graphic situations and details surrounding my life. I do hope that all that read this book will find at least one useful piece of detail from this book and apply it or not to your own life. So before I begin, maybe I should introduce myself!
Hi, my name is Tim Barber and I am an addict. This is my real name, and I will not be giving you true names of other people that will be mentioned throughout this book, but all facts will be true and I absolutely will not embellish any part of this book as I feel the garbage that I put up through life is enough in itself to make someone puke. Well, maybe that’s getting a little carried away, but this you will have to decide for yourself. Now if you’re already thinking about putting this book down,,, DONT, just don't you fucking dare!! I have a lot of good stuff coming up. Sorry, but I think my story is worth telling and I truly believe that you will ultimately get something out of it.
I grew up in Toronto, actually Rexdale to be more precise. Then again, I moved around so much as a child, you could sort of say I grew up for the most part in Southern Ontario. You see, my Mother had five children by the time I was six or seven. Sorry, but sometimes dates are going to a little foggy at times, and you'll understand why as my story progresses. I was the oldest of would later be five other brothers and sisters. Their names from oldest to youngest were Robyn, Dougie, Garry, Jamie and Holly.
I thought I would mention quickly that there may be times throughout my story that I will talk about things that are going on at the present time. I wont know exactly when this will happen, as every day is different, however, I do have something to say about my day right now.
I just told my story of my life to about twenty other addicts in class today, and I am shaking all over, not to mention that Air Supply is bringing back a flood of memories and sadness. I should turn off this fucking crap, but I can’t because this hurt feels so good! Is that weird or what? I just want my old fucking life back, and in order to do that, I needed to start all over. God, how I miss my children. Yes, I am a father. I have a boy and a girl. Their names are Tyler and Destiny. To this point all names have been real. I haven't seen them or heard from them in about two and a half years to three years. They are forever in my mind though, and I am just finally making steps to get them back in my life. This however may take some time, and I look forward to the time I will be able to see them and love them once again.

Tim Barber,
HOPE for the HOMELESS

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim
    Signed up to read your blog today. You write well - that is a gift. I look forward to reading your blogs and learning more about your journey and transformation...one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim
    Thank you for your honesty, as it something your going to have to do for yourself to help in your healing.You have had a long history with addition and homelessness, so become free from this is not going to be a short process, its actually going to be a life long way of life. But support is going to be key for you to help yourself. Get yourself a sponsor, which should be someone that had a long history of clean time in. I think of you and pray for you.
    sincerely
    a former homeless addict

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim
    I also believe your story is worth telling. Thank you for sharing it. Please continue.

    ReplyDelete