Saturday, February 26, 2011

I'm Giving Up

Wait! Its not what you think. I’m not giving up on my life but I am giving up a lot of other things.

I am giving up on drugs and alcohol. I am also giving up all the crap that came with it. I am giving up being broke all the time. I’m giving up on the paranoia while on drugs. I’m giving up on the hiding. I’m giving up on the hangovers. I’m giving up on using friends. I am giving up to a higher power in my life that is going to help me in my recovery.

I am now clean and sober for sixteen days and this is just the beginning of a new life that I plan on having. I want to be a much better person who can actually make changes in other peoples lives. I actually have a great desire to actually start helping in the homeless industry in any way that I can. If anything I would like to be able to work in a kitchen at one of the shelters here in this city.

Right now I am actually getting a chance to volunteer my services in the Alpha House kitchen and I feel quite comfortable helping out. I really appreciate the kitchen staff that make such wonderful and nutritious meals for the clients of the detox program. I have had the opportunity to help Peter and Avril out and it makes me feel like a different person. I feel so alive when I can give back to the place that is helping me in my recovery. Avril and Peter are very kind and compassionate with all the clients and I cant say enough about how wonderful they really are.

I am still at Alpha House and probably will be until near the end of March at which time I hope to get into the Salvation Army’s addiction program on the fifth floor. As a condition to me staying for such a longer period of time while I await treatment I will be attending the day program at AADAC which is now known as Calgary Health Services. I start the assessment awareness program on Monday which is from 9-11 until Friday and then on the 7th I go for two weeks from 9-4. I actually am looking forward to this program to regain some of the tools that I need to be using in order to maintain a drug and alcohol free life.

I can’t say enough good things about Alpha House, except to say they have become a powerful support in my life and I hope that I will be able to give back some of my time to them in the future after my release date. The release date is still yet to be set but as I said, it should be around the end of March.

I want to thank all those that have left comments supporting me in my recovery. I want to thank Kim in particular because she has also been a very supportive person in my life and I just love her so very much. By the way, I love my new nickname, timbits. Lets just hope Timmy’s let me keep it lol.
You, my reader , are becoming a big support in my life and I hope that I can make you proud. Wait, let me rephrase that. I will make you proud!

In closing, I am getting closer and closer to being able to see my children and I will continue to update you on my life. I promise to continue blogging and I just ask that before you go to bed tonight, say a little prayer for me and to other addicts that may be struggling with their addiction. I love you all for your support. I am clean today and plan on being clean tomorrow too!

Delighted with the new me
Thank You Thank You Thank You
16 Days and still counting!!!!!
Tim Barber

1 comment:

  1. OH BTW...I think your talent is starting to shine..you aren't Irwin Shaw..or Rudyard Kipling yet..but keep up the good thinking and blogging and writing and maybe take a few creative writing courses ( yes you can) and you could be on your way. I think you have a unique way to spin a tale. Budbits

    ReplyDelete